Sea to Sky Books - Publisher Interview
Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Tina from Sea to Sky Books! StSB is an online eBook seller.
Thanks for joining me today to share the opening of SEA TO SKY BOOKS. I hear that this venture started back in June 2016 and went live in December 2016. As someone in the digital space myself I know how much work goes into getting a website like this together. It doesn’t just happen overnight :). Getting a website with a full shopping cart and extras takes months of planning, organizing and a competent developer. SEA TO SKY BOOKS looks great!
1. As the owner of Extasy Books and Devine Destinies you’ve been in the industry for well over 10 years and have helped publish thousands of titles. How has that experience helped you in opening SEA TO SKY BOOKS?
I've actually been in the industry since 1998 so have learned much over the years. Growing with readers and authors helps to decide on a shopping cart and the best experience for readers. It also helped with making the dashboard for authors as simple as we could make it. Of course, we're always open to suggestions from readers and authors.
2. What inspired you to start thinking about opening a digital Bookstore?
Complaints from customers--how difficult it often is to find a book by their favorite author at huge 3rd party sellers.
3. What’s the goal of SEA TO SKY BOOKS?
To help self-published authors showcase their books at a smaller venue. We aim to keep Sea to Sky Books simple and easy to navigate.
4. What’s your split with the authors?
We are not taking on publishers for the above reasons. Only self published authors can apply for an account. The split is 80/20%.
5. What genres are you looking to sell?
Pretty much all genres, but no smut, porn, etc. Authors can ask for a category to be added if it's not already on our genre list.
6. How do authors / publishers get their books on SEA TO SKY BOOKS?
Self published authors can write to email@example.com to apply for an account with a sample of one of their books (pdf) and their website. Upon approval, they will be set up with their own dashboard that they have full control over, can check sales as they happen, etc.
7. What are you doing to promote SEA TO SKY BOOKS to readers?
We are advertising in social media and will be promoting at any events we attend. Authors, of course, can also promote the bookstore.
8. What’s your system for keeping eBooks backed up for readers?
After a reader sets up an account, they have their own bookshelf where their purchases are kept and they can download any time.
9. How did you come up with the name SEA TO SKY BOOKS?
LOL. I live in the Sea to Sky corridor. It was actually Viola Grace who came up with the name and after thinking about it, I thought it was fitting.
10. Please tell us about some of your already signed up authors.
We have a number of authors already signed up, some are waiting until their catalog becomes free from commitment at other places. The authors that have an account already, are excited about Sea to Sky Books. They stand to earn the best commission. So far I've heard nothing but praise from them at the ease of entering their books and the website.
That's great Tina. Keeping it simple is always the best and makes ease of entry a breeze.
It's been a pleasure having you over. Thanks so much for stopping in and sharing this awesome new eBook store with us.